Welcome to my search for snow.
I am steve, the snow-reporter from www.chamonix.net, and to warm up for the 2012-13 season I will spend 11 days in early November touring around Norway with skis. While looking for the deepest snow, if any, I will follow snowstorms and explore the ski culture in Northern Europe, while waiting for the early winter to start in Chamonix.
I will be using environmentally friendly skis made by Idris skis in Chamonix, www.idriskis.com, skiing on Chamois all-mountain skis.

If you are interested in this, you might like my new book, available now in paperback and e-book versions.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Powdery repeat... and some scandi cliches

So, where do I find the Vikings?  ;-) 
What, no beavers in Norway???
(Apparently there are, but not right here)
Do trolls live under here?




I woke up this morning to clouds and a light snowfall, which was nice, but not expected.

Its an exciting day for Chamonix, too, as it looks like it was dumping in the town this morning. Check out www.chamonix.net and link to the chamonix facebook page.






Maybe it snowed a couple of centimetres here in Norway during the morning, and it looked like it was clearing around Noon:





Setting out after lunch, Frode and I met up with Magnus from yesterday, and another friend of theirs, Kent. As it was getting late in the day, we decided to just do a repeat of yesterday's main project, a short-ish skin to the wide open bowl and trees beyond the ski hill.

It was just as good as yesterday, but the snow was different, slightly softer with the new 1 or 2 cms, except for the top section which had been slightly wind packed.

The Chamois skis cut through this wind packed snow so easily, and I am now getting used to their width, and finding them very comfortable.





The afternoon light here in the North is so beautiful, low angle sunlight and nice colours.




 I was with a Swede, A Dane, and a Norwegian: a classic Scandinavian trio:

The Ascent
The Descent

Then it started getting really windy up on the ridge, and the wind increased all evening, even in the valley. 

Hopefully the highway pass to the North West will stay open, as I am heading out of town on the night bus tonight, destination Sogndal, a small fishing town located deep in a West coast Fjord. There is a ski hill nearby, so I will go and check out the snow there, and there is some possible snow in the forecast for this part of Norway.

Maybe this North-west wind will blow in some precipitation and send it hurtling down towards Chamonix afterwards...

Who knows when I will next find an internet connection, though - hopefully tomorrow in Sogndal.

Into the North-west wind I shall go...

No comments:

Post a Comment