Welcome to my search for snow.
I am steve, the snow-reporter from www.chamonix.net, and to warm up for the 2012-13 season I will spend 11 days in early November touring around Norway with skis. While looking for the deepest snow, if any, I will follow snowstorms and explore the ski culture in Northern Europe, while waiting for the early winter to start in Chamonix.
I will be using environmentally friendly skis made by Idris skis in Chamonix, www.idriskis.com, skiing on Chamois all-mountain skis.

If you are interested in this, you might like my new book, available now in paperback and e-book versions.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Chamonix Aiguilles


Winter is approaching! It is time to set off on my trip into the unknown.

Les Houches Pistes
Heading off from Chamonix this morning, the sky was cloudy with some fresh snow up high. As I packed my bags the sky brightened into daylight, revealing a new layer of white above my head, merging with the clouds as the mountains disappeared into the heights. Here are a few snowy scenes of the Chamonix valley today - beautiful! 
Heading off under snowy mountains
Brevent






It is an exciting day, but I have a long journey ahead of me. The journey will take me through Italy to Milan airport, and then straight North.






Across a border under the tunnel, and into the Italian side:














I am hoping to arrive in some Norwegian mountains on Saturday evening, and from the look of some webcams in Norway, it is a good time to go. There has already been some significant snowfall in many places up there.

Maybe the hurricane that hit the North Eastern USA the other day will track across to Europe as it weakens. Meanwhile, there are some other low pressure systems around mid and north Europe right now.

It is sunny as I write this right now, on an Italian train, with shiny sparkling white peaks alongside the tracks, but there is another weather front approaching Chamonix from the West. Hopefully I will be back in time for the opening of the Grands Montets.

This is the skis in an unlikely location, but I like the juxtaposition of mountain and urban cultures. somewhere in sunny Italy today:
we're heading for the snow...,

1 comment:

  1. Kudos for this blog! Keep safe and do stay warm in one of those chalets in Chamonix. :)

    ReplyDelete