Welcome to my search for snow.
I am steve, the snow-reporter from www.chamonix.net, and to warm up for the 2012-13 season I will spend 11 days in early November touring around Norway with skis. While looking for the deepest snow, if any, I will follow snowstorms and explore the ski culture in Northern Europe, while waiting for the early winter to start in Chamonix.
I will be using environmentally friendly skis made by Idris skis in Chamonix, www.idriskis.com, skiing on Chamois all-mountain skis.

If you are interested in this, you might like my new book, available now in paperback and e-book versions.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Epilogue


Hemsedal: A guy taking photo of a guy
taking photo of a guy skiing!
Idris skis getting stuck into the Norway powder!








So, here ends one trip, and begins another: a freeride trip to Chamonix...

It has been an interesting couple of weeks, with some good snow, some good turns in mediocre snow, lots of good times, and most of all many new experiences in a Northern land


I am very grateful to Frode and his buddies in Hemsedal for showing me around, and putting me up, and taking some of the photos. It was a great way to start exploring a country.

Of course, there were many places that I didn't get to, and places that I was which would have been even better with a huge snowstorm, but it can't be deep powder every day!



I finally made it to Ski!

I passed through the town on the train on the way to the airport from Oslo, and the train stopped at the station.

129.4 is the altitude in metres.


The sun came out as I was leaving Oslo airport on Thursday morning it was very welcome after all the rainy days that they had had recently in that part of Norway.

There appeared to be a storm heading for Lofoten and Narvik in the North, maybe hitting there right now. I should have stayed, maybe!

The trip ended up being a logical progression Northwards, which was perfect, as it gave me a linear trajectory to follow.

The area South of Oslo looks beautiful in the sun
- lots of islands and forest

I got a last look at some of Norway's Sourthern mountains as we took off. The light was a bit dingy due to a murky haze, and some clouds in the West. 

Then it was on South over Germany, covered in low cloud, until finally I saw this:


The alps were looking seriously majestic from the air, snowline about 2000m high, way up to the tops.








Getting to Courmayeur, the sun rose on Mt Blanc:


Courmayeur ski resort
And then I arrived back in Chamonix, my home and home of my Idris skis. It currently looks like this, with a snowpack building above 2000m:






Hopefully it is nearly opening day for the Grands Montets...



No comments:

Post a Comment